. . . And then there were four

As I am sure you have guessed, little guy #2 has joined us earthside. He made his introduction at 6:57am on New Years Eve. He was 7lbs 4oz and 19 1/2 inches long and absolutely perfect. Labor lasted two and a half hours. It was really intense. So incredibly worth it.

At about 3:30 that morning, I woke to use the bathroom and felt, well, just kind of odd.  Actually, I felt really good, the oxytocin was definitely flowing. I just knew that our Peanut was going to be joining us soon. I layed there in bed just rubbing my belly and talking to him. An hour later, at 4:30, I felt this huge popping sensation. It startled me. I got up and had a very small trickle of fluid. At first I wasn’t sure, but then I had a contraction and knew that labor was starting. I woke up my sister, K, who was staying with us. I let her know that I would be calling the midwife soon. K was to be in charge of my 2 year when he decided to wake up. I then woke my husband to let him know that I would be calling the midwife. He isn’t really great with mornings, let alone ones that start at 4:30!

By 5:00am I had a few more contractions and decided I would call the midwife. She asked if she could shower and grab a quick bite to eat. Of course I said she could. Wanted to make sure she was fully awake and had energy before she got here! 🙂 She said she would call back in a half hour and see how things were progressing.

I raced around the apartment getting a few last minute things together, my husband and I are horrible procrastinators. . . I also had to wake up my husband a few more times. Within a half hour my contractions were pretty intense and close together. I was watching the clock waiting for my midwife to call back. When she did call back, I told her she definitely needed to get here.

While I waited for her, I texted a few people to let them know I was in labor(while sitting on the toilet. . .). My sister made the phone calls to the people who wouldn’t get text messages, my mother and my in-laws.

When the midwife arrived at 6:00am, I was lying on the couch breathing through contractions. They were crazy intense with almost no time in between them. I started to get really nauseaus like I had when I was labor with the Munchkin. This time, I did not vomit. My midwife put her cool hands on my neck and stroked my arms until the feeling subsided. So nice.

After that, everything happened really fast. I remember climbing off the couch and kneeling next to it. My husband was sitting on the couch. I grabbed hold of his arm and layed my head on it and squeezed and moaned through pushing. I vaguely remember the second midwife and apprentice midwife getting there as I started pushing. Nine minutes later, the Peanut slid on out. Munchkin woke up half way through pushing. So he was able to witness the birth of his brother. Not that he was all that coherent when it happened. I leaned back and someone handed him to me. His cord was kind of short, so I was scrunched over, but I didn’t care. We waited for his cord to stop pulsating before cutting it. I have no idea how much time passed before I delivered the placenta. Once I did, we all (my husband, Munchkin, Peanut and myself) piled onto the couch together. It was so nice to be relaxed and snuggled up with my family.

Breastfeeding happened somewhere in the midst of all this. Naturally. It wasn’t forced. I didn’t have some nurse grabbing my breast and shoving my brand new baby on it. It has continued to be a wonderful experience! No pumping (besides to give a little here and there to Munchkin)!

In conclusion, I LOVED my home birth! It was such a wonderful experience. Having a midwife was so nice. Having someone who actually talked to me, listened to me, cared about me, cared about my feelings and wishes. I would recommend a home birth to anyone.

3 thoughts on “. . . And then there were four

  1. Thanks for sharing Amanda, and thanks for stopping by my blog! Wow, 2.5 hour labor! Was your first labor so fast, or did it only come with your second child?
    I’ll be back to check out more!

    • My first was 6 hours. I wonder if it would have been shorter if I had given birtth at home instead of at the hospital.

  2. Pingback: My Breastfeeding Journey, Part 2 « Amanda's World of Motherhood

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s