I think we can officially say that Lily has kicked Parvo’s butt!
It has been five days since she was diagnosed and started treatment, and seven days since she started showing symptoms. She is super active and keeps trying to get Sawyer, the cats, Hazel, and us to play with her. She was very sad the last two nights when we left her home while we all went for a walk. The cats didn’t go, but yes, Hazel goes for walks with us. She walks better on a leash than the dogs do, hehe.
We had to exchange Lily’s lactated ringers with the vitamin C and B for plain lactated ringers late Friday because she developed sores in her mouth. The vet felt it was a reaction to the vitamin C. She got 300mls of IV fluids daily(slowly, over the course of the day) Thursday through Saturday. I pulled her catheter on Sunday morning because she had gone 36 hours without vomiting and was eating food.
I tried starting her off with a scrambled egg, but she wasn’t interested. A little later I offered her a raw egg and she gobbled that right up. It was an egg fresh from our chickens that morning. I don’t think I would have done that with store-bought eggs. Later that day I boiled some chicken for her and kept feeding her little bits of that with some of the broth from cooking it. She has been eating boiled chicken for the last few days now. I cooked up some jasmine rice this morning to add to the chicken to give her a little bulk to her meals.
Yesterday I added probiotics to her regiment of medications. I will give her the probiotics for the next week to help replenish the good bacteria in her GI system. Today is her last day for the antibiotic injections. I will continue the Colloidal Silver for another few days. The dose I found is 1ml per 20 lbs, twice daily.
Now we are just waiting for her poos to return to normal. She had one semi-solid poo last night. 🙂
I will leave you with this cute pic of Lily and Hazel that I took just before she was diagnosed with Parvo.
Lily was diagnosed with Parvo Thursday night. The vet put in an IV catheter and we took her home to give her IV fluids and antibiotic injections. I also started giving her colloidal silver.
Last night, she was still vomiting intermittently and having diarrhea.
This morning, we woke to find no vomit, yay! Not sure how the other end is doing yet. Lily is very perky. She wants desperately to go outside and play with Sawyer, Hazel, and the boys. She is drinking little bits of water and even ate a bite of the scrambled egg I made her with a little coaxing from Hubby. 🙂
Last Thursday The Triplets of Bellville (our chickens) were reduced down to two. One of them got out and Blue, the beagle mix, killed her. We resolved that we would bring Blue to the shelter after the incident. He had been chasing the cats and they wouldn’t leave the bedroom, so this was the last straw.
Hubby and I were in the garden later that day and discussing visiting the local Amish to get another chicken or two when one of our neighbors pulled up. She asked if we wanted a couple of chickens! Funny how things work out sometimes. So we have two new baby chickens, I believe they are about 3 months old. One is a Barred Rock and the other is a Buff Orpington.
Buffy and Rocky
Friday morning came. It started with Verbal being hit by a car. Hubby had taken the dogs out and Verbal wandered out to the road. Hubby was trying to call him back and witnessed the whole thing. He was devastated.
Later that day I brought Blue to the shelter because it still needed to happen.
The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. Up until Tuesday evening that is. Lily wouldn’t eat dinner. The next morning (yesterday/Wednesday), she wouldn’t eat breakfast and she started vomiting and having diarrhea. She ate a tablespoon of food, but that was it. Hubby was concerned and jumped online and came up with Parvo. I was denial. I told him no way it was Parvo. I’d seen Parvo when I was vet tech. This morning, still vomiting and diarrhea and not eating. Called the vet at 9am and they gave us an afternoon appointment. Brought her to the vet this afternoon and she was diagnosed with Parvo. . . .*sigh* The vet agreed to put in an IV catheter and to let me do her treatments at home. She is getting IV lactated ringers with vitamin C and B12 added. Plus injections of Penicillin and Oxytetracycline. I am also giving her Colloidal Silver for good measure. Poor little girl. We need lots of positive thoughts that she will pull through. Hubby won’t be able to handle losing her too.