This last week has been a rough one for us.
Last Thursday The Triplets of Bellville (our chickens) were reduced down to two. One of them got out and Blue, the beagle mix, killed her. We resolved that we would bring Blue to the shelter after the incident. He had been chasing the cats and they wouldn’t leave the bedroom, so this was the last straw.
Hubby and I were in the garden later that day and discussing visiting the local Amish to get another chicken or two when one of our neighbors pulled up. She asked if we wanted a couple of chickens! Funny how things work out sometimes. So we have two new baby chickens, I believe they are about 3 months old. One is a Barred Rock and the other is a Buff Orpington.
Friday morning came. It started with Verbal being hit by a car. Hubby had taken the dogs out and Verbal wandered out to the road. Hubby was trying to call him back and witnessed the whole thing. He was devastated.
Later that day I brought Blue to the shelter because it still needed to happen.
The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. Up until Tuesday evening that is. Lily wouldn’t eat dinner. The next morning (yesterday/Wednesday), she wouldn’t eat breakfast and she started vomiting and having diarrhea. She ate a tablespoon of food, but that was it. Hubby was concerned and jumped online and came up with Parvo. I was denial. I told him no way it was Parvo. I’d seen Parvo when I was vet tech. This morning, still vomiting and diarrhea and not eating. Called the vet at 9am and they gave us an afternoon appointment. Brought her to the vet this afternoon and she was diagnosed with Parvo. . . .*sigh* The vet agreed to put in an IV catheter and to let me do her treatments at home. She is getting IV lactated ringers with vitamin C and B12 added. Plus injections of Penicillin and Oxytetracycline. I am also giving her Colloidal Silver for good measure. Poor little girl. We need lots of positive thoughts that she will pull through. Hubby won’t be able to handle losing her too.